Friday 22 October 2010

New Car

Well guys, it is that time that comes around every 3 to 5 years when it is time to choose our new car on the Motability Scheme.
Whereas I love looking at shiny new broom-brooms I really hate those condescending slimy turds who sell them. 
They can see that you are disabled and assume that you know sweet fuck all about the car in the showroom. 
In reality I have done many months research before I even step foot in the showroom.  I know exactly what the car does and which adaptions I need to install.
“Can I have a test-drive in an automatic model?”  reply is inevitably; “Sorry sir, we only have a manual demonstrator.”  Annoyance.   Why do they bother to be Motability dealers if they cannot give disabled drivers a test drive?
I want a test drive in a Ford Galaxy, can I get an automatic one to test.  No!  Why?  I went across the road to the Vauxahll dealer.  Can I get a demonstration in an Insignia automatic.  No!
I’ve got money to spend, for fucks sake and Alison and I have to live with the car for at least the next 3 to 5 years.  We want to make sure it is right for us.  Is that unreasonable?  No.
We decided that were going to go for another wheelchair accessible vehicle.  A VW Caravelle with a Underfloor Side-Entry lift. 
Bloody Motability change the rules on couples buying vehicles using both our Mobility Allowances. Consequently we are forced to lease using one and apply for financial assistance to fund the massive five-figure deposit.  We fill in the form and send it off.
Then we get this phone call from some chinless wonder from Motability suggesting that we look at something cheaper that is totally useless to us and our lifestyle.  We would not need to go for something cheaper if they hadn’t changed the fucking rules.
I spent months researching which vehicle suits us best.   The most appropriate layout, the type of wheelchair restraint that I can operate, etc.  When are these people going to realise that we are the experts in our own situation.
They make me sick!
I feel better now that I have got that off my chest.

No comments: