Wednesday 4 August 2010

Another policy shot from the hip.  I really wish the ConDems would engage their brains before they engage their mouths. 
My grandparents moved into their new council house in 1924, which was on an estate (or scheme as it was called in Scotland) was built as part of the “Homes fit for Heroes” campaign after the First World War.  Tenants were mainly ex-service men, like my grandfather, and their new families.  My grandparents were very proud of their new home, as were their neighbours and looked after their houses and their estate.
The estate was still well looked after when my Grandfather died in 1988.
How does Camoron expect to maintain the same level of social cohesion in areas of social housing as in the example stated above, unless we continue to give social housing tenants life-long tenure over their homes? 
This new proposal will only create more social problems in these areas as tenants will not develop pride in their communities.

No comments: